There are more than 13 Reasons Why one should visit Athens now. And it’s not just about the Parthenon anymore, the old city, the Acropolis Museum, but also glimpses of modern life, the ancient and modern sides of the city, the new cafes and restaurants, the Ancient Agora, the Byzantine history and culture, authentic Greek cuisine, the sun, the sea, the buzz. Athens is "a la mode". No wonder why so many new hotel units are about to open in the heart of the city, offering different products, design, walking tours, facilities, organic breakfast, breathtaking view. Shaking up the hotel scene in buzzy downtown Athens? A is for Athens. B is for buzz. And bio Greek salad.
By Sandy Tsantaki
Nine hotels and counting. Downtown Athens is about to welcome right on time, just before summer, and spring of 2020, new hotels located in central Syntagma Square and the heart of the city. Do you want to have a look inside, just a sneak preview, just before everybody else makes a reservation?
1. Elia Ermou. Elia like the olive tree, is a four-star unit, which recently opened its doors to guests, close to the Greek Parliament and the ceremonial change of guards, on the crowded Ermou Street, with amazing view, 123 rooms and nine suites, inspired by olives.
2. Ergon House Athens, of the Ergon group, is a property belonging to NBG Pangaea Real Estate, right on Mitropoleos Street, also near Syntagma and is a Foodie Hotel, the first of its kind, situated at the foot of the Acropolis. A modern-day agora in an epicurean boutique hotel. Like a night in the museum.
3. Blend Hotel. Back in the 19th century, on this very own building, a landmark for the city’s comeback, chocolatier Pavlidis used to serve the first cup of hot chocolate back in 1852. And today? Blend hotel is an extrovert urban hub, based in contemporary Athens, a year round destination, offering direct access to a perfect blend of old and new Athens.
4. Athens BC. A bold frame with the balconies in the main façade reaching out towards the New Acropolis Museum, maximize the visual experience. A new hotel (still under construction) on Syggrou Avenue inspired by the architecture of the sixties and seventies. What is special about Athens BC? The dialogue with the urban environment, the view to the archaeological findings situated within the site.
5. Niche. A four-star hotel, situated near the Acropolis Museum, the Temple of Olympian Zeus and Odeon of Herodes Atticus. Rooms with a view to Greek heritage.
6. Amirandes. This will be the new five-star hotel for Grecotel, right on Mitropoleos Street, on the historical center, offering 50 rooms of relaxed luxury.
7. Athens Town House, near Syntagma Square, is still under development and will be presented to its guests as a five-star boutique hotel situated on the streets of Voulis and Kolokotroni, offering 45 rooms in total in a preserved building with a strong history of its own.
8. King’s Palace. A five-star hotel that is announced to be ready just before spring of 2020, on the streets of Panepistimiou and Kriezotou, offering 180 rooms and suites, belonging to Lampsa Hellenic Hotels S.A. (Grand Bretagne and King George) in collaboration with MGallery by Sofitel of Accor.
9. Academia of Athens, Autograph Collection. A luxurious, city hotel, part of Marriott Group, portraying a contemporary interpretation of Plato’s Academy blending the old and the new. Do you wish to experience the Athenian for a Day Tour? Or you can just be lazy (and romantic) and sip a glass of Greek wine on the Aether Roof Top, with stunning views of the Acropolis. Eis Ygeian. Yamas. Cheers. A votre sante. Cin cin.
Already signed up? Already signed up? Already signed up? Already registered? Login!