The InterContinental Marseille - Hotel Dieu is situated at the very gateway to Provence, perched atop the Panier hill, beside the world-famous Vieux-Port. The hotel has 194 rooms, a Brasserie, a Michelin Star restaurant, a bar and a magnificent terrace with a seating capacity of 160 for meals. There is a wide choice of meeting and conference rooms and a 1 000 m2 Spa by Clarins, complete with indoor swimming pool.Job overview:
At Hotel level, directs the financial operations of the hotel to ensure the security of hotel assets. Reports to GM’s and owners on financial state of hotel and makes recommendations to improve hotel profitability. Serves as primary contact for all hotel financial - and accounting-related issues with owners, auditors (internal and external) and regulatory agencies.At Regional level, leads and develops the Directors of Finance & Business Support within the Region, maximizes the profit of the Region and ensures audit, controls and policies are in place.
Duties and Responsibilities:
At Hotel level :
- Uses financial analysis, data trends and market information to anticipate needs, identifies operating/financial issues, and recommends actions to maximize financial return.
- Creates the annual operating budget for the property and provides analytical support during budget reviews to identify cost saving and productivity opportunities for department heads.
- Analyzes ROI for capital projects prior to committing funds and, upon completion, determines if anticipated results were achieved.
- Maximizes cash flow performance of the hotel through controls on inventory (avoid excessive supply), credit and collection, disbursements, deposits and remittances.
- Review rates and recommends rate strategy to the General Manager; participates in sales strategy meetings.
At Regional level :
- Maximizes profitability of hotels through benchmarking/best practices and ensures sound controls and accounting standards are in place as per company Policy & Procedures to safeguard return to the owners
- Responsible to lead the reviews of month-end forecast & month-end results with an aim to deliver against the Area and Functional Winning Metrics, which maximizes shareholder value
- Reviews, monitors and analyses Regional financial performance against established goals and benchmarks to provide guidance to Hotels Management Teams
At Hotel level :
- Manages day-to-day activities, plans and assigns work, and establishes performance and development goals for team members. Provides mentoring, coaching and regular feedback to help manage conflict, improves team member performance, and recognizes good performance.
- Educates and motivates finance and accounting teams to achieve hotel revenue goals. Ensures staff has the information, market data, tools and equipment to successfully carry out job duties. Provides direction to hotel employees on how decision-making impacts profits.
- Promotes teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with key department heads.
At Regional level :
- Provides leadership, management and evaluation of the performance of the Hotels Directors of Finance & Business Support
- Consults on talent development programs across the Europe region to include development of the finance future leaders program, the assistant financial controller program and the wider development of the Director of finance
- Establishes and maintains development plans and succession planning of the Hotels Directors of Finance & Business Support
At Hotel level & Regional level :
- Responds quickly to guests requests in a friendly manner. Follows up to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Ensures accounting practices support the guest experience through payment options.
- Gives support and recommendation on financial dispute.
At Hotel level :
- Follows IHG Policies & Procedures, Delegation of Authority and Code of Business Conduct
- Maintains local fiscal accounting and tax records in order to comply with statutory & tax requirements.
- Maintains books of accounts in accordance with statutory and corporate requirements.
- Ensures assets are properly safeguarded and adequate insurance in place for asset loss and other business risks.
- Internal pro-forma reporting for both Hotel and Corporate legal entities (where applicable).
- Preparation and filing of Board Directors and Shareholders' Meeting minutes (where applicable).
- Assists external and Statutory Auditors (local requirement).
- Relationship with Banks (opening/closing accounts and other matters) and Attorney for Fiscal (VAT & Tax) disputes/refunds/claims and other matters related.
- Participates in local recognized professional and industry organizations
- Manages hotel contracts (example: vendor leases and/or service contracts).
- Perform other duties as assigned. May also serve as manager on duty.
At Regional level :
- Accountable for the annual balance sheet reviews & compliance with policies and procedures and local GAAP for all managed hotels of the Region
- Assesses CSA results, reviews Internal Audit reports and action plans progress through hotel visits to ensure maximum internal controls.
Bachelor or Master's Degree in Business / Finance, or a relevant field of work, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.Professional accounting or finance designation or certification preferred.
6 years+ in hotel accounting or audit with at least 3 years in a Hotel Director of Finance role or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
Required skills :
- Demonstrated ability to assess and understand a variety of internal and external economic and financial issues which impact the business, to analyze data and forecast future business trends, and to develop effective financial plans based on businesses assessments.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and developing people.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written to address all levels within the organization and ability to gain consensus.
- Demonstraed experience with PeopleSoft, Essbase, Hyperion or similar financial software for the purpose of financial reporting, analysis and presentation
- Demonstrated knowledge of finance, busgeting and accounting processes and regulations, along with demonstrated knowledge of capital projects management standards and techniques and US GAAP regulations and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to scope a project and develop a plan of action, ability to influence others, present convincing arguments and deal with conflicting viewpoints
- Travel is required, approximately 10%-15% of time
- Majority of work is performed in a normal office environment
- Must speak English and local language(s)
- Other languages preferred.
Key Internal Relationships
- VP Operations / Head of Operations InterContinental Europe
Key External Relationships
- External and Internal auditors
- Industry Specialists (PWC, MKG and other consultants) for the purpose of gathering financial data, discussing business trends, etc.
- Accounting / Finance Directors / Hotel industry association
Already signed up? Already signed up? Already signed up? Already registered? Login here!