We were expecting Hyatt Corporation or a Chinese group... but in the end Marriott International stepped forward and announced it had closed an agreement with the management of Starwood Hotels to acquire Starwood Hotels & Resorts, for some 12 billion dollars.
According to the merger agreement between the two groups, shareholders at Starwood Hotels will receive 0.92 Marriott Class A shares for each Starwood Hotels share plus 2$ cash. Former Starwood Hotels shareholders will thus own 37% of the capital of the new Marriott International and will receive $340 million in cash. The transaction valorizes the Starwood Hotels & Resorts group at 12.2 billion dollars, including 11.9 billion paid in shares.
The brand portfolio of the new world leader is impressive:
- Luxury: Ritz Carlton, Bulgari, Edition, JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, Luxury Collection, St Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, Design Hotels
- Upscale: Renaissance, Marriott, Delta Hotels, Gaylord Hotel, AC by Marriott, Courtyard, Sheraton, Le Méridien, Westin
- Extended stay: Residence Inn, SpringHill Suites, Fairfield Inn & Suites, TownPlace Suites, Element
- Africa: Protea Hotels,
- Midscale: Moxy, Four Points, Aloft
According to data published by MKG Hospitality, the new group takes the lead in worldwide rankings, now comprising more than a million rooms. Regional hotel rankings also turned upside down. The merger gives the group a leading position in the North America and MENA markets. Individually, Marriott and Starwood ranked respectively 2nd and 6th in North America, 5th and 6th in Africa.
The new group reaches the third position in Latin America -a region where Marriott and Starwood previously ranked 7th and 8th. Its position is also strengthened in Europe and Asia, two continents where it is now the 4th largest hotel group.
- Jin Jiang, Plateno et Starwood, a new global hotel giant ?
- Will Starwood Hotels & Resorts be sold, rented, or offered a merger proposal ?
- Interview with Michael Wale, Starwood Hotels & Resorts
- Chinese investors interested in purchasing Starwood Hotels & Resorts
- Sale of Starwood Hotels: how might it affect the hotel world?
Already signed up? Already signed up? Already signed up? Already registered? Login!