Access the main content

News

Barcelona: Ada Colau pursues her battle against illegal rentals

The mayor of Barcelona announced three new methods for battling the noxious effects of illegal rental of tourist accommodations, particularly on Barcelona's market.

The mayor of Barcelona announced three new measures for putting a stop to illegal tourist accommodations rentals. The goal is specifically to "reduce its negative impact on the city and create a new model for sustainable and quality tourism."

This first targets owners of tourism apartments that are rented illegally and have already been sanctioned, with fines averaging 15,000 euros. The figure is currently close to 300. If their owners accept the conversion of their apartment into social housing they could have up to 80% of this sum canceled for three years. After this three-year period, the owners will have the possibility of recuperating the remaining 20%. This measure has initially been implemented in the Ciutat Vella neighborhood, with a goal to expand throughout the city.

The city also asked private rental platforms, such as Airbnb, to make it easier to identify owners and record their registration number from the Tourism Register. If this information is not provided within 15 days of the publication of the announcement, the city hall will apply sanctions for each apartment rented illegally, effective September 1. 

Finally, Barcelona's authorities have launched a communication campaign in Ciutat Vella neighborhood to encourage tourists to report apartments that are rented illegally and have them collaborate with the authorities.

These three new measures were announced a few weeks after Catalonia's adoption of strict regulations for private rental websites such as Airbnb, and the implementation of a freeze on new hotel operating permits. Since the election of its new mayor, Ada Colau, Barcelona has been trying to redefine its tourism strategy and is taking on mass tourism.

Also read:



  • Barcelona: what lies in store for tourism after the municipal elections?
  • 40 projects blocked by Barcelona's moratorium
  • Barcelona puts a freeze on delivering permits for new hotels




Loading...

Vous avez consulté 10 content. Go back home page or en haut de la page.

Access next article.

Sign up to add topics in favorite. Sign up to add categories in favorite. Sign up to add content in favorite. Register for free to vote for the application.

Already signed up? Already signed up? Already signed up? Already registered?